Heya all! Pretty light on gaming this week, but can take the chance to post a few pics of side-projects that keep me invested – along with the Azhag and Manglers from the previous post. I didn’t get a game this week for a very simple reason – the heat of the GW shop was nigh unbearable – it is what is stopping me heading over this evening too! I have played there twice when it hits the 29 degree mark and it becomes a sauna with just a handful of players and painters, so was not interested in spending the evening quite like that today! Will be having a game on Saturday at a more local club, so looking forward to seeing how my reconstituted Orcs fare out against a new opponent!
In the mean time, here are a few shots of my current WIPs!
This Spear Chukka was the Finecast version and neatly went together after some slight hair-dryer action on the base pieces. I more or less copied box-art for the scheme as I really shot through this model and crew in jig time. I like it – although from the army book, I don’t see an effective run even if it is cheap, it is just one of those models that I’d like to have one of – not as an obsessive compulsive completionist, but just because I like the screwy and cartoony style that Goblins bring to the table-reminds me not to take this game too seriously and just enjoy the animosity! No real complaints, but am curious if anyone ever really got their Gobbo carrying the upright arrow to actually keep that arrow without it breaking at least once? It seems like a flaw in at least this model of finecast, but it is far too thin and spindly for its own length. Apart from that-all I have to do is base the models and they are all set for zany fun!
These two are the compliment to my Manglers from a previous post. They are still in the processing point where I’m not quite sure of colour. I thought I’d fashion a really subterranean appearance for these two – so got me some new paints and washes…sorry; shades – and went with some Violet and Blue/Gray squiggy goodness. The Finecast models here were simply terrible. Perhaps the dark photography hides the distorted crumbling aspects of the model’s features – a good thing. No amount of Green Stuff could fix the supporting leg of the blue fella, who toppled from his perch and broke apart for the umpteenth time seconds before this photo was taken – you can see one of the new chips by his left eye there! I’m going to have to change the laws of physics to get him to stay on the other lad when they’re done as there is literally NOTHING to hold him in place. I thought the other mangler was an odd mould, but this one was much more awkward…still a cool piece though!
And this is Azhag the Slaughterer. I LOVE this model – so much so that I am afraid to photograph any closer to draw attention to the p-poor effort I did in painting this guy way too fast. I have A LOT of touch-ups to do on the fella later, but like many big models or even complicated terrain pieces – you get tired of the same thing over the length of time it takes! So I am taking a break from Azhag for a bit. I liked how his wings worked out, and the final skin tone is about right. I had tried it with Orchide Shade as a base, but it wouldn’t cooperate so needed to raise it to a very Orcy blend – but the brown wingspan help break that up plenty – I may go even lighter with it. Not that this model was without faults. Assembly was a pain – even now in order to get the most of it on the base, you’ll notice that the rock in his left claw is clear of the base proper. This was the only way I could get it to fit together evenly, even after a great deal of manipulation. I used half a pot of Liquid Green Stuff and it still has areas that I’d sooner ignore than fix, but regardless it is a great model – positively bursting with detail everywhere. It was worth the wait for the mail order (The first one came with two right legs and had to be returned. The replacement came super slo-mo, but was a much better kit. Even with the tricky and lengthy assembly, it fit more keenly together).
And finally – a Chapel that I am rescuing. I had to really respray the crap out of this old thing in order to start from scratch. I didn’t try to strip it at all, but went with a Chaos Black total cover and worked up. I liked the effect of the brickwork. I used a mix of Dheneb Stone and Khemri Brown to build a base, heavily soaked in Gryphonne Sepia and Agrax Earthshade (two seperate layers) before a liberal drybrush with Dheneb Stone. I used some Astronomicon Gray and Dheneb Stone stippling on the plasterwork to tone it into the bricks and am happy that it worked together well. the roof is a blend of Shadow Gray and Enchanted Blue. I washed it with Badb Black before a light Scar White drybrush. The Statues are the go-to for tarnished brass – undercoated in Scorched Brown with a little Tin Bitz in (2:1 mix should o it) followed by a drybrush of Shining Gold and very light drybrush of Hawk Turquoise in the weather-beaten areas. The rest is detail that I’m still working on.
So that is all I am up to for the moment, although I keep threatening to break away to try something different for a break from Warhammer Fantasy. I keep getting pulled back into the Orcs and Goblins gig in order to perfect the army and build a better, more competitive list! Someday, I’ll get to Malifaux again – even Lord of the Rings seems interesting at this point. There are plenty of Rangers and Mordor in the attic still unpainted! As always – any and all comments and criticisms are welcome! Especially regarding scenery and Terrain, as I know many people hate breaking to do them – colour suggestions and alternatives are constructive to me as I try to break away from the cookie-cutter boxart! Take it easy all, and catch up with a battle report soon!